Pages

Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Valentines Cherry Heart Shortbread Biscuits

After school we had a go at making these lovely Cherry Heart Shortbread Biscuits.  I had been sorting out my big pile of old magazines at the weekend, and stumbled across a Valentines Recipe for these biscuits in an old GoodFood Magazine (February 2011).

Lottie and I decided to make them. They were delicious! We made our heart shapes by hand as I couldn't find our heart shaped cutter! We also made some round ones.  They don't look exactly like the picture in the magazine, (ours look far more homemade) but they taste divine! 

Here is the recipe in case you want to have a go.

Ingredients
  • 100g icing sugar , plus extra for dusting
  • 200g plain flour , plus extra for dusting
  • 50g cornflour
  • 50g ground almonds
  • 250g pack cold butter , cut into cubes
  • 50g glacé cherries , finely chopped
  • ½ tsp almond extract
  • 8 tbsp cherry jam , sieved

How to make them

  1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Sift the icing sugar, flour and cornflour together into a bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and butter, then rub in the butter until smooth. Stir in the chopped glacé cherries and almond extract, and bring together to form a dough.
  2. Roll out on a lightly floured surface, then stamp out biscuits using a heartshaped cutter. Keep re-rolling the trimmings until all the dough is used. Carefully transfer the biscuits to baking trays lined with parchment and bake for just 8-10 mins until just pale golden.
  3. Using an upturned bottle top or similar, press gently into the centre of each biscuit to make a round indent. Spoon in a little jam and return to the oven for 2 mins. Remove and cool on a wire rack, before dusting with icing sugar to serve.
I found it needed slightly more flour to bind as it was a very sticky dough, also I wrapped the dough in clingfilm and left it in the fridge for a hour, it was far easier to roll that way.

I was thinking of getting my class to make them for Valentines and then I realised we will be on Half Term then, so may save the idea for a Mothers Day gift.

Happy Baking x

2 comments:

Hello there. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. I read them all avidly. Thanks x