Pages

Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole

Tonight we had a family favourite for tea.  Sausage casserole.  It cooked all day in the slow cooker while we have been busy at work and school.  I love coming home and having tea ready! (Well reasonably ready, I just had the Mash to make and the broccoli to cook.)

Here is the recipe if you want to try it.

Ingredients
1tbsp oil
8-12 sausages
2 medium onions peeled and sliced
6 mushrooms sliced (if liked)
2 tbsp plain flour
300ml (1/2 pint) chicken or beef stock
2tbsp chutney (I used our homemade green tomato chutney)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to season

  • Fry the sausages quickly to brown on all sides and then put them in the slow cooker.
  • Add the onions and oil to the frying pan and fry until softened. If using mushrooms fry them as well.
  • Stir the flour into the onions and mushrooms.
  • Add the stock and stir until it begins to thicken.
  • Stir in the chutney and Worcestershire sauce. 
  • Pour the mix over the sausages in the slow cooker.
  • Season as required.
  • Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 5-8 hours. 

Serve with creamy mash - delicious.  I always use lots of sausages as this is always a meal where everyone wants seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. I read them all avidly. Thanks x