Pages

Sunday, 24 February 2013

Grandma Peggy's Flapjacks

On Sunday we had a lovely lazy day at home.  Lottie and I did lots of baking.  One of the things we made was our family favourite - Grandma Peggy's Flapjacks.

This is my Grandma's recipe.  She was the queen of Flapjacks.  I always rememeber as a child, whenever we would visit Grandma's house there would always be a box of her yummy flapjacks waiting for us.  Nobody elses flapjack are anything like her's!   I remember baking them with Grandma and my Mum too and now I make them with my children. 

It makes me smile now as both Tom and Lottie both talk about her flapjacks being the best too.  As soon as I took the tray out of the oven Tom came in and said "Are they Grandma Peggy's Flapjacks?  I remember every time we went to her house there was always a big box on the dining room table for us" he said as he ate one!

I am sure she wont mind me sharing the recipe.  They are delicious, crisp on the outside yet soft and chewy in the middle and very morish - believe me its hard to stop at one!

 
Grandma Peggys Flapjacks
 
Ingredients
8oz Cooking Margarine
2 tbsp Golden Syrup
8oz Caster Sugar
4oz Self Raising Flour
4 oz Oats
6oz Crushed Cornflakes (I used a mix of Corn Flakes and Rice Crispies)
 
 
1. Preheat oven to 190c.  Grease or line a baking tray (mine was approx 9" x13")
2. Melt the Margarine and the Golden Syrup.
3. Mix the flour, oats, sugar and cornflakes in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the melted margarine and syrup.
5. Mix until all comnined.
6. Pour into the prepared tray and press down firmly.
7. Cook for about 15mins until golden brown.
8. Allow to cool in the tray slightly then divide into slices and cool on a wire rack.
9. Store in an airtight container for about a week (thats if you haven't eaten them all!)
 
Delicious with a cup of tea!
 
Love you Grandma Peggy

2 comments:

  1. Jill it's lovely how you keep Great Grandma Peggy's memory alive with Thomas and Charlotte. She was a very special lady and loved all her family very much. I'm sure in years to come her grandchildren will be making her flap jacks with their children too. M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jill, That should of read her "great grandchildren" will be making her flap jack recipe with their children too. You're already making them with yours... Love you. Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello there. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. I read them all avidly. Thanks x