I haven't done a baking post in weeks. I have been busy baking but nothing that I have very worthy of putting on the blog. I admit I am no grand baker but this weekend we made the most yummy cheese scones I have ever tasted. I say we as it was a true family affair! Lottie grated the cheese, I weighed out the ingredients, Tom rubbed in the flour and butter, and Daddy helped roll and cut them out. They didn't last long. Tonight the children came home from school as seeing as Lotties swimming lesson had been cancelled the children asked if we could bake cheese scones again so they could have them in their packed lunch tomorrow.
Here is the recipe we used. Its adapted from a cheese scone recipe in my good old Be-Ro Home Recipe Book that my Mum gave me!
Cheese and Sundried Tomato Scones
175g (6oz) Self Raising Flour
pinch salt and pepper
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1oz margarine
3oz grated cheese ( we used grated five counties)
1 medium egg
1tbsp milk
Chopped Sundried Tomatoes - as many as you want I used about five out of a jar.
What we did:
Heat oven to 220c Gas mark 7 and flour a baking tray.
Mix flour and seasonings together.
Rub in the margarine.
Stir in the cheese, remember to save a little for the tops.
Add the chopped Sundried Tomatoes.
Add the egg and milk.
Mix until it forms a soft dough.
Roll out to approximately 1.5cm in thickness and cut into rounds using a cutter.
Place on the baking tray, brush with a little milk and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
Bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
Best enjoyed warm from the oven with plenty of butter!
These look gorgeous. Just the kind of pregnancy snack I am craving at the moment, and if I get the time I will be whipping up some of these!
ReplyDeleteHi Hannah, they were pretty easy to make and even easier to eat! I hope the pregnancy is going well. Cheese scones sounds like a good craving to have! Jill x
Delete