Well another week is over and here I am (on time even if a week or so behind everyone else) joining in with the wonderful Morgana at butwhymummywhy reflecting back on the little things that have made up the last week in January.
Read
I finally got round to starting my new book this week. I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult books. She is the sort of author that gets you into the story line with in the first few lines. The sort of books that once you start you find hard to put down with the intriguing plots with twists and turns to the tale. Anyway, a colleague at work recently recommended author Diane Chamberlain . She write in a very similar style to Jodi Picoult. So when I saw a new book; The Courage Tree by Diane Chamberlain in Sainsburys I bought it. I only started it on Wednesday night and already I'm over half way through. Its about a mother, Janine, who wants her daughter to live a normal life full of adventure, so she lets her go on her first overnight camping trip. The difference being that Janine's daughter Sophie suffers from a rare disease, and therefore when she disappears and fails to return from the trip, Janine's immediately faces a countdown as every day her daughter is missing is one day closer to her death! The reviews inside the book are so true;
"Emotional, complex and laced with suspense, this fascinating story is a brilliant read." - Closer
I've also enjoyed this months Essentials magazine! Just the heading about reasons to shop caught my eye! However, there are some great recipes inside too!
Watched
I haven't really watched a lot of TV this week again. However, I did manage to catch a glimpse of the new series of Outnumbered. Its one of those programmes that's easy watching after a long day at work. I think its comical in a sort of familiar realistic way! I do wonder what life here at number 2 will be like when the children are teenagers!
Wore
Lots of layers! Yesterday, we went to Chepstow Castle, 59 children and 11 adults. Its was a great day out. It didn't rain, but it was very cold, so I wore lots of layers! A vest top, a shirt, a jumper and my ski jacket. Along with a hat, scarf and gloves and fur lined boots. Luckily all the children also wore plenty of layers so we managed the day without anyone being too cold!
Heard
My favourite Hymn - Shine Jesus Shine. We aren't big church goes here at number 2, however we do go at Christmas, Harvest and to the children's church services with school.
I work in a Church of England Primary School and our children sing beautifully. We sing every morning as part of our school Assembly and have an amazing school choir. One of the hymns the children sing particularly well is Shine Jesus Shine. It is my favourite and the whole school know its my favourite! It gives me goose pimples when they sing it, they are that good.
So this week we sung it during our School Christingle Service in the Church. It was a lovely service, the Year 6 children did a sterling job holding the lit Christingles while we sung. The only slightly comical bit was when my class and the reception children all turned round as the piano started and said " this is your favourite!" before joining in with the chorus!
Made
This week I made my first ever cheesecake. Don't ask me why I've never made one before, as I really don't have a clue! It was so easy and sooooo delicious. Dime Bar Cheesecake, based on a recipe from a really good friend! I will try and get round to posting the recipe this weekend, but here is a picture. Imagine a crunchy biscuit base, smooth caramel and a layer of delicious creamy cheese with bits of Dime bar! We served it with sliced banana on top in a bid to make it slightly healthier :0)
Ooohhh I may have to make it again this weekend! I took some in for the girls in my Key Stage 1 team, it went down very well.
And Lastly...
I can't believe we are at the end of January already. Where did that month go? We have had nothing but rain for what feels like the whole month and as I type it is pouring down again. Unfortunately we are due another storm. It is said to hit us here in the West Country tonight and tomorrow, coinciding with yet another high spring tide. I hope everyone manages to keep safe, warm and as dry as is possible. I know our plans for tomorrow are based in doors!
Oh wow, that cheesecake looks divine! I haven't made a one before either, I really must give it a go.
ReplyDeleteThanks for joining in. Have a great week - hopefully one with less wind and rain! xx
A few people have recommended Diane Chamberlain to me too (I love Jodi Picoult!!). I've picked up 2 Diane Chamberlain books from the charity shop and another from Asda but I haven't got around to reading any of them yet x
ReplyDelete