Pages

Monday, 19 August 2013

Butterflies, Butterflies and even more Butterflies

I love butterflies.  I love watching them flutter this way and that, delicately land, flap their wings and then off they go again.

I remember as a child going on lots of countryside walks and especially walking through the woodland on our way to the beach with my Grandma and Grandad and pointing out the butterflies.  From a young age I knew the names of the majority of our native butterflies.

This year, I have hardly seen any Butterflies.  However since we have returned from our holiday I have seen so many, I can hardly believe it.  Every time I look out of our window, or go out into the garden a butterfly is fluttering past. I don't think I have seen quite so many for a long time.

It may have something to do with this large Buddlia bush which is in the front garden of the house across the road from us!

Its a bit like "Where's Wally! but if you look closely you may spot some of the butterflies!
At one point today I spotted about 30 butterflies on this bush!  There were also lots fluttering around.  We've had Red Admirals, Large Cabbage Whites and Peacock butterflies ion our garden this afternoon.


I'm not so sure what this one is!
 
Just before we went away on holiday I remember reading an article about the decline in our butterfly population.  Here is the article I read. 

"Difficult weather conditions, including last year's wet summer and the recent cold spring, have exacerbated population declines, say experts.

But there is some hope that the hot start to July could help the insects to bounce back."

Well, hopefully they were right and the warm start to July really has boosted the butterfly population.  It certainly has down our road!

2 comments:

  1. I've been amazedat the amount and variety of butterflies I have seen this summer. They seem to be living it up here in Cornwall.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful butterflies. I love seeing them too! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello there. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. I read them all avidly. Thanks x