Pages

Saturday, 2 November 2013

Bonfire Night Cinder Toffee

Today we made Cinder Toffee.  

Some call it Honeycomb, some call it Hokey Pokey. 

Ready for bonfire night.

It was surprisingly easy.

Surprisingly quick.

And deliciously tasty.

The children loved watching it change, as did hubby and I.

This is the recipe we used.

Honeycomb

3oz golden syrup
3oz butter
5oz caster sugar
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

* Put the syrup, sugar and butter in a large pan, heat it until the sugar has dissolved.  Then turn up the heat and bring to a rapid boil.  

* Boil until it turns golden brown but don't stir it.  If it begins to colour more on one side then just jiggle the pan slightly.  This should be about 5 minutes.


* Remove from the heat and add the bicarbonate of soda.  Stir slightly and watch it fizz and bubble.


* Pour the mix into a greased 8inch square tin.


* Allow to cool then turn out and break into pieces.

If you look carefully, you may just spot Lottie's fingers! 

It didn't last long, even Tom's friends came in from outside scooting to have some! 

Unfortunately, as we made it, a text came through to say due to the weather the bonfire and firework display we were off to tonight was cancelled until next Friday.  

I'm not sure we will have any Cinder Toffee left by then so I think we will be making it again next week. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill, thanks for sharing how you made this toffee. I've heard of it but never tried it before. I hope you can see the fireworks next week.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. I read them all avidly. Thanks x